About the job
Note: This is a freelance position.
We’re looking for a talented, experienced, and enthusiastic Front End Developer to join our growing team on a freelance basis. You’ll be working with our development team to build WordPress websites for a wide range of clients across many industries. You’ll be utilising our established toolbox of WordPress plugins to build websites that wow.
Who are we?
Think Zap is a digital design and marketing agency based in Glasgow, Scotland. For over a decade, we’ve been helping businesses turn screens into brand showcases. Our compact team of talent combines innovation with industry experience to create a complete digital package for businesses.
Who are you?
You’ll be a confident creative with plenty of ideas and the gumption to speak them out. Our nimble team is perfect for someone who enjoys creating their niche and taking initiative.
We’re looking for experience, but the capacity to learn quickly and keep on learning is even more valuable. If you’re the type of person who wants to hit the ground running, then you’ll fit in just fine.
You’ll also be working closely, not just with the Dev team but with creatives across all of our teams. A collaborative mentality is a must, whether producing great work or just wading into the conversation on our team channels.
- 60% Back End Development
- 30% Testing / Quality Assurance
- 10% Front End Development
What you’ll be up to:
- Using a variety of markup languages to develop websites that are responsive, comprehensive and really good-looking
- Making sure that all web development is optimised for mobile devices
- Ensuring your code is reusable and future-proof
- Optimising web pages for speed, scalability and traffic
- Creating documentation outlining efficient processes
- Assisting and training junior team members in the creation and maintenance of websites
- Taking the lead on front end aspects of development where necessary
- Developing more technically-challenging functionality, such as AJAX-loaded content
- Snagging and testing websites to ensure a high standard
What we’re looking for:
- You’ve have a minimum of 2 years experience in using PHP to render WordPress websites
- Equally as important, you’ll have a keen desire to develop your skills across the board
- You’ll have experience with custom post types, as well as with WooCommerce
- You’ll know all about creating responsive and adaptive websites
- You’ll have a strong understanding of the web development cycle, as well as programming techniques and tools
- You’ll be well versed in GIT-based workflows, and how to implement them into a system
- You’ll have a focus on efficiency, user experience, and process improvement
- You’ll be a fast and efficient worker with great time management skills
- You’ll be a team player, able to work and communicate effectively with other team members
- You’ll be a strong solo artist too, being able to take ownership of a project and finish it in a timely manner
We know what it’s like not to know what’s going on with a job application. Here’s how our hiring process usually works:
- We’ll review your application and portfolio
- If we love what we see, we’ll set up a call with our Managing Director, Digital Director and Head of Development so we can ask you hard questions about yourself
- We’ll set you a short WordPress-related task – so you can show off your stuff
- Then we’ll get another quick interview to discuss the task, and answer any of your questions
- As long as everything goes well, we’ll send you an offer!